Nine-year-old Juan skirted blindness. Three-month-premature James celebrated his second birthday. Eleven- year-old Mauricio isn’t anxious anymore. Sixty-one- year-old Ruth avoided a stroke. Fifteen- year- old Naila is 60 pounds lighter. Twenty-year-old Andrew is free of debilitating pain. Eighty-year- old Javier has his diabetes under control. Thirty-three-year-old Lenore survived lung cancer. Without Healthcare Network of Southwest Florida, life would be very different for these individuals. But because they had access to the affordable, managed healthcare they so desperately needed they can now live life to the fullest.
Beyond Healthcare Network’s mission to provide quality healthcare for all, including those with no insurance or ability to pay, is a dedication to addressing a patient’s physical, psychological and social needs – building an integrated system of care that prevents costly visits to the emergency room or hospital and that keeps our community healthy and thriving.
During 2014, Healthcare Network continued its 36-year history of changing lives by caring for more than 24,500 children – nearly half of the children in Collier County - and almost 11,500 adults, close to 60 percent of who live in poverty.
But that’s not all. Over the last year we’ve also…
- Hired a director of behavioral health and become a key partner in NCEF’s Children’s Mental Health Initiative to integrate behavioral care into pediatric and primary care, a practice which Healthcare Network has been pioneering since 2012.
- Acquired the Women’s Health Foundation, now Women’s Care Naples, in an effort to ensure prenatal care and delivery services remain available for indigent, high-risk pregnant women in Naples.
- Partnered with the YMCA to open a Pediatric Clinic within their new Healthy Living Campus, opening in 2015, in order to help care for the children enrolled in early childhood, youth and teen development programs, as well as others.
- Named a chief dental officer to support our growing dental services for children and adults.
- Held the most successful Care Mobile Classic in eight years, raising close to $170,000 for the Ronald McDonald Care Mobile and Healthcare Network Foundation and purchased a brand new Care Mobile, scheduled for delivery very soon.
- Expanded family care services in Immokalee with a new primary care physician along with a nutritionist, case manager and diabetes expert that will give Healthcare Network the ability to provide more specialized care for adult patients and prevent costly emergency room visits.
- Celebrated several of our outstanding providers and staff including Dr. Jose Quero, Florida Rural Health Association’s 2014 Rural Healthcare Provider of the Year, Ellen Cordoba, Healthcare Hero for Nursing Excellence, Dr. Alicja Langner, 2014 Best of Naples Award for Pediatricians, and Dr. Emily Ptaszek a Gulfshore Business Magazine’s 40 under 40 award recipient.
But perhaps one of the most exciting things Healthcare Network did this year was to take steps to expand access to quality healthcare in Collier County by purchasing five acres of property in Golden Gate City on which to build a new 50,000 square- foot health center.
“This is just the start,” says Healthcare Network’s CEO Mike Ellis. “Over the next five years, Healthcare Network will build additional partnerships to advance how we deal with individual patient needs, improve the overall health of our community and reduce the cost of healthcare. Just a few of the things on the horizon for Healthcare Network are more adult dental services, transportation assistance for patients as well as the integration of our information systems with other providers and insurance payors.”
We look forward to what the New Year will bring as we strive to keep our community healthy and we invite you to join us!